Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Courage in Suffering- Shields are for Arrows!

Philippians 1:21-30  Lectionary reading

We pray for faith. We seek courage. So we shouldn’t be surprised when we get the ‘opportunity’ to use them! Faith is called a shield for a reason! God gives us plenty of reasons to trust him, to grow in our faith of how awesome is our shield and defender, our provider and king! So, when we’ve been given the chance to grow strong and courageous, why should we be surprised when the darts of the enemy begin to fly our way? Are we not warriors for a reason? Is the shield of faith God has given us just for looks? We are clothed for battle! Apostle Paul writes this letter to Christians who will face battle just as he is facing at the time, he’s chained and imprisoned for his faith life, and his joy could not be contained!

Don’t be surprised. Don’t be taken off guard. And don’t be afraid-your shield of faith, a gift from almighty God, is more than a handsome shiny toy- it’s as perfectly effective when lifted into place as is our Christ, whom we lift up.

1 comment:

Tammy (Preston) Hilton said...

Thanks Dan. Even though these are things I know and often share with others...it's nice to be reminded myself. My dad has just been diagnosed with rapidly spreading cancer. I am always the "strong one". I have to say, I am not feeling so strong with this news. Thank you for reminding me that it is not my strength, it's His!