Thursday, February 9, 2012

More Healing

Gracyn DenBesten
Praying for healing. We had prayed for many people for healing. This is one case we will never forget. We had been praying for a young girl, Gracyn DenBesten. At age 9 her heart began to fail. She was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy, a genetic heart disease. As her condition worsened, the prayer chain sent out emails, calls, and tweets. When her heart finally beat its last, she was connected to a machine to keep her alive, and the search continued for a heart donor. A heart transplant was the only cure. She had a limited window of opportunity to have the surgery done in time. Each day, Gracyn would sing along with Kari Jobe’s song: Healer. We had been praying for some time when the news came: a 15 year-old boy in Miami, Fl had died tragically in an automobile accident, and his heart was being donated. On April 15, 2009, Gracyn received this young boys’ heart.  We all prayed that the surgery would be a success. In June, she returned to her church, First Baptist Church, Orlando, for the first time. We knew her presence was an answer to prayer, a miraculous healing. Gracyn was asked to come on stage and join the praise team as the song which just happened to be in the plan to be sung was her song: Healer. The normally composed congregation wept, I know, I was one of them, as we heard Gracyn sing of her faith in God, her healer, in whom she believed. You can see the video of this:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCZjWZKtBTY Here are the lyrics: 

Healer (Kari Jobe, 2009 Gateway Create Publishing)
You hold my every moment
You calm my raging sea
You walk with me through fire
and heal all my disease
I trust in You, I trust in You
I believe You're my healer
I believe You are all I need

I believe

This was a physical healing, and it was awesome. But when Jesus reminded us in Mark 1:29-39, his purpose was to tell people the good news about a whole life healed. He wants to heal more than just ailments, though that’s a part of it. He wants us to be whole, in absolutely every way. As I remember how awesome Gracyn’s healing was, I can only try to imagine how awesome the healing is that Jesus plans for us all!

No comments: